The coaching education program provides educational opportunities for all levels of coaches, from grass roots to the elite level. The program is comprised of three progressional levels, each of which has the following components:
- Sport Science
Extensive instruction in sport science is covered in order to provide a scientific basis of understanding for rational development of technique and training programs. The sport science portion has been developed by the American Coaching Effectiveness Program (ACEP) and the USATF National Coaching Education Committee. It includes sport psychology, pedagogy, and sports medicine.
- Technical, Event-Specific Instruction
Throws, jumps, sprints/hurdles, and endurance events are all covered at the basic level in this shcool. Event-specific instruction is progressive in nature. Consequently, at Levels 2 and 3, each event is covered in greater depth and detail than the previous level.
- Hands-on Training
Experience is the best teacher. Minimum standards of practical experience are expected of participants at each level.
Calendar of Schools
- Fundamentals of Coaching Track & Field - intended for entry level coaches, parents or volunteers/officials at any level.
- Level 1 - basic knowledge course that emphasizes rules, basic mechanics, and teaching progressions.
- Level 2 - more in-depth training in an event specific group (sprints/hurdles/relays, endurance, jumps, throws, combined events).
- Level 3 - very high-level seminar structure educational experience in a specific event area.
- Coaching Enhancement Grants - Multiple grants are available to assist coaches in opportunities to enhance their professional growth.
- Emerging Elite Coaches Camps - For High School, Club or College Coaches who have had success coaching athletes at the State, National or International level, including U.S. Outdoor National Championships.
- Gill Coach of the Year - Gill Athletics is honoring one boys' high school team coach and one girls' high school team coach as the Gill Athletics National High School Coach of the Year. The winning coaches receive a $5,000 credit of Gill Athletics equipment to their high schools as well as a trip for two to the USA Outdoor Track & Field Championships.
- Special Programs - USATF will occasionally sponsor or support special clinics or programs.
- Coaching Youth Track & Field - Official handbook of the Hershey's Track & Field Games.